Each participating country sends 1-2 teams of four contestants each. The methods of choosing these contestants and composing the teams differ from country to country; in most cases a country’s contestants are chosen from the winners of their national Linguistics Olympiad. Check below to find out how contestants are chosen in your country.
What do I need to do to prepare?
No prior knowledge is necessary to compete at the IOL: every problem is self-contained.
The best preparation possible is to attempt as many past problems as you can. Start with the samples if you’re new to IOL problems and when you’re ready take a stab at our past problems. If you’ve done all those and can’t get enough, the national olympiads. Below also keep archives of past problems.
What if my country doesn’t participate?
If you are a student interested in competing: We might know teachers in your country who are willing to help you assemble a team. Ask a teacher or parent to contact us and we’ll tell them all the details of contacting your national organization, or starting a new one.
How is my country’s team chosen?
- Team Australia is chosen through OzCLO, the Australian Computational and Linguistics Olympiad.
- Team Brazil is chosen through the Olimpíada Brasileira de Linguística.
- Team Bulgaria is chosen through the Национална олимпиада по математическа лингвистика.
- Team Canada is chosen through the North American Computational Linguistics Olympiad.
- Team China is chosen through the 全国语言学奧林匹克竞赛.
- Czech Republic
- The team of the Czech Republic is chosen through the Česká lingvistická olympiáda.
- Team Hungary is chosen through the Magyar Nyelvészeti Diákolimpia.
- Team India is chosen through the Panini Linguistic Olympiad.
- The Irish team is chosen through the All Ireland Linguistics Olympiad.
- Isle of Man
- Information about the Isle of Man team can be found here.
- Team Latvia is chosen through Latvijas Lingvistikas Olimpiāde.
- Team Netherlands is chosen through the Taalkunde Olympiade.
- Team Poland is chosen through the Olimpiada Lingwistyki Matematycznej.
- Team Romania is chosen through Olimpiada Naţională de Lingvistică.
- Team Russia is chosen through the Традиционная олимпиада по лингвистике.
- Team Slovenia is selected based on the results of results of the Državno tekmovanje iz znanja logike.
- Team Spain is chosen through the Olimpiada Lingüística de España (OLE).
- The Swedish team is selected based on Lingolympiaden.
- Team UK is chosen through the UK Linguistics Olympiad.
- Team Ukraine is chosen through the Київська відкрита олімпіада з лінгвістики.
- Team USA is chosen through the North American Computational Linguistics Olympiad.